Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Another Day in Burgerland


finished burgers with all the fixins'
I was never much of a burger guy.   The concept is simple.  

Place properly cooked and flavored meat onto some kind of bun and you have a simple portable meal.  I always felt heavy after a burger, heavy and with a bloated stomach that growled.  Burgers slowed me down and I felt like either sleeping or swimming to work off the weight of my body very slowly utilizing a lot of calories that I did not necessarily turn into energy.


This burger is a bit different.  Yes, in reply to a reader, it is BEEF not turkey.  And yes, it has a bun and flavorings.  But conceptually the all meat has been swapped for half  70/30 ratio of meat to fat ground beef and half diced domestic mushrooms. I let the mix sit 30 minutes refrigerated to allow the mushrooms and meat to blend in flavor and bind a bit.  I added a touch of Dijon mustard and drops of soy to season.
diced domestic mushrooms
tasty nutrient rich greens

 2 burgers and left overs
There are ways of adding binding character but not this time. The lettuce, mayo and tomato has been swapped for a touch of mayo on the inside cover of the 2.5 oz bun as the 'special sauce', with a cabbage leaf on the bottom and an arugula, red kale and cilantro mixed bag of unseasoned, undressed greens on the top.  No tomato.  The end results after downing two was feeling like I was satiated and happy but not that, 'Oh my god, I can't eat another thing...' feeling.  And, oh yeh!  They were super tasty.  Hope that gets you in the mood.  The Vegetable Alchemist.

a touch of  jalapeno added 

No comments:

Post a Comment